I’ve noticed that real bloggers often have a “link you up” weekly post to share everything they’ve enjoyed on the internet each week. Since my Facebook status updates had gotten out of control as I shared approximately 12 interesting/funny/thought-provoking articles/blog posts daily, I thought this weekly update would be a good way to go. So here it is! My very first “Check this out!” You can expect this type of deal every Friday.
Silly articles/blog posts:
- 21 Ways You Are Definitely Leslie Knope at BuzzFeed – for the Leslie Knope in all of us.
- 20 Life Lessons We Learned from Gilmore Girls at BuzzFeed – I learned so much from those spunky, well-read, fast-talking, coffee-drinking ladies!
- 27 Reasons Why Parents Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Text at Don’t Pke the Bear – I think the title of this article should be 27 Reasons Why Parents Absolutely Should Be Encouraged to Text. Hilarious!
Serious articles/blog posts:
- On Respect, Responsibility, and Mrs. Hall’s Open Letter to Teenaged Girls at Rage Against the Minivan – Everyone had something to say about Mrs. Hall’s Open Letter to Teenaged Girls. What this mama said made a lot of sense to me! Another great response to Mrs. Hall’s Letter was Dear Mrs. Hall, Regarding Your ‘FYI (if You’re a Teenage Girl)’ at Huffington Post – yay Beth Woosley! So funny and so wise.
- I Didn’t Love My Wife When We Got Married at Huffington Post – Author Elad Nehorai says, “It’s time that we changed the conversation about love. It’s time that we redefine it.” And I agree!
- Why Real Men Shouldn’t Fantasize About Women at SYL 101 – because I’m not a huge fan of pornography myself, but I think the argument against it sounds more convincing coming from a man. (*this article contains language that may be offensive. get over it?)
I watched Brave for the first time this week on Netflix. When she turned her mom into a bear I thought, “So, uh, Brother Bear?” To be honest I wanted to watch it after reading this article about the timeline of the Pixar movies because it was the only Pixar movie I hadn’t seen. I was intrigued! Then I watched it and was disappointed. The disproportionate sizes of the dad/king and the mom/bear freaked me out. They were so big!
Ratz! A 2000 classic! My brother and I used to rent this one all the time from our comfy neighborhood video rental store. Then that place closed down and Blockbuster was too cool for pre-Glee Vanessa Lengies. Well, for those of you who have yet to experience the greatness that is Ratz, it’s about a lady named Weird Doris who buys a magic ring at a yard sale and uses it to turn two rats into two dreamy fellas for two not-super-cool gals to take to the Spring Fling Dance. It’s magical.
Apparently Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a classic. A classic that I had never seen before this week. But there it was on Netflix and so I checked it out. I loved it! I love Lula Mae/Holly. What a gem. Her relationship with Cat reminded me of my relationship with Strawberry. Except Strawberry had a name before she was even born and I feel so very much at home. But I wouldn’t turn down a tall, handsome writer, y’know what I’m saying?!
Netflix is so good to me. This movie had been up on my Top 10 for a while and today I finally took the plunge and watched it. I was actually nervous it would be scary but I’m kind of on a Jesse Eisenberg kick lately (weird, right?) that started with Adventureland (oh, hello Kristin Wiig and Bill Hader and Ryan Reynolds!). Turns out I don’t hate Kristin Stewart when she’s not being Bella. Who knew? Anyway, back to Zombieland! When I saw one of the stars was Woody Harrelson I knew he wouldn’t let me down. After all, he was my favorite boyfriend of Grace’s on Will and Grace (Nathan circa Season 4, 2001). Zombieland also stars Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin so there was no way it could fail. And it didn’t. It triumphed and I laughed out loud and I loved it. Zombieland 2, anyone?!
- The Survivors Trilogy by Amanda Havard – A vampire trilogy I can actually get behind. The characters have depth and strengths and weaknesses and despite their superhuman-ness, they are totally real characters.
- Finally got the Taylor Swift Red CD and I can’t stop! My favorites are Stay Stay Stay, Holy Ground, and Starlight. Unashamedly.
- Call Me Maybe by Us – This song just never gets old. And Us is darling. I watched almost all of their videos, those sweet baby angels. So talented and attractive they are!
- What Does the Fox Say? by Ylvis – watch it twice. Trust me. It’s much funnier the second time.
- Syria in Five Minutes by Vlogbrothers’ Hank Green – in case you’re mega underinformed about world events just like I am (or was, before this video!).
- 53 Terrible Jokes by Vlogbrothers’ Hank Green – One reason I’m underinformed about world events, especially Syria, is because it just gets me down (totally selfish of me, I know, but I’m a 7!). To lighten the mood, watch this video and get ready to laugh your head off!
- Why Twilight is Popular – seriously cleared some things up for me.
- Louis C.K.’s Explanation of Why He Hates Smartphones is Sad, Brilliant – yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!! That’s why I don’t wanna get a phone for my kids either, Louis!
General Good Finds:
- “36,000 denominations. We better get it together ‘cuz Jesus comin’ back for a bride, not a harem.” (I made a half-hearted effort to find out who said this first, but it was brought to my attention via Jeff Cook’s Facebook.